In today's digital era, the database is one part that has an important role. In operating various hardware such as laptops, computers, mobile phones, and others, the database has an important role. The computer will lose most of its functionality without a database. Whether for work or individual needs, computers are often used as a reliable repository of information. That way, it is important for you to understand the various types and functions of existing databases. To understand more about databases, know the meaning, benefits, various types, and functions below.
What is a database?
Reporting from oracle.com, a database is an organized collection of structured information, usually stored electronically in a computer system. Generally, a database is controlled by a database management system (DBMS). The data and DBMS, together with the associated applications, are called database systems or databases.
Furthermore, a database is information that is organized to be easily accessed, managed, and updated. The computer database itself usually stores a collection of data records or files, such as sales transactions, customer data, finance, to product information.
The most common operating model databases use is rows and columns in a series of tables to make processing and querying data efficient. That way, data can be easier to access, manage, update, and organize. Most databases use structured query language (SQL) to write and query data.
Benefits of databases
In business, the database is an important part, one of which is to make decisions. The benefits of the database, among others:
- Tracking customers. A database is a place to store various information, one of which is consumer data. For example, social media uses databases to store user information. The data is used to recommend content to users.
- Another benefit of databases is that they can improve business performance. Companies can collect data about business processes, orders, and customer service. Analyzing that data expands business and increases revenue.
- Use of the database to store personal information or data. For example, private cloud storage is provided for individual users where you can store media, such as photos, videos, and more.
- Another important benefit of databases is that they can secure personal health information. Healthcare providers use databases to store patients' personal health data safely and more quickly.
Database types and functions
Whereas in computing, databases are often classified based on the company approach used. The following are some types of databases.
1. Operational databaseThe first type of database is the operational database which is also known as On-Line Transaction Processing. An operational database function is a place for direct or real-time dynamic data management. Operational databases play an important role in analyzing business and warehousing data. The advantage of an operational database is that it allows you to add, edit, and delete data at any time.
- XML: An XML database is a software used to store large amounts of information in an XML format. These tools provide a place to securely store XML documents. You can request data to be saved using XQuery, serialized, and exported to the desired format. XML is usually associated with document-oriented databases.
2. Database warehouseAnother type of database is a database warehouse which is usually used to perform data analysis and reporting. This type can be said to be a core component of business intelligence. A database warehouse is a central repository for data specially designed for quick query and analysis.
- Microsoft SQL Server
Microsoft SQL server is a database that functions to store and retrieve data according to other application requests. This device can be run through the same or different computers using the internet network.
3. Distributed databaseA distributed database is a database that is spread across several devices. Information is not stored on a single device but operates across multiple machines, such as different computers in the same location or across a network. Increased speed, ease of expansion, and reliability are the benefits of this database.
- Microsoft access (office)
Microsoft Access is a computer data-based application program that can be used according to the needs of individuals or companies. This application is usually already on the device if you have full Microsoft Office access. The program can process data stored in all database containers. Connectivity with other applications, making Microsoft Access is often used by programmers.
4. Relational databaseA relational database is one of the main types of databases that can store structured information about other data. This type is able to organize data based on the data relationship model. In addition, relational databases are also widely used software to organize and maintain information.
relationship model. In addition, relational databases are also widely used software to organize and maintain information.
MySQL is an open-source SQL-based relational database management system. This program is designed and optimized for web applications and can run on any platform. MySQL is widely used by web developers and web-based applications. This is because the program is designed to process millions of queries and thousands of incoming transactions. MySQL is a popular choice for e-commerce businesses.
This program can store data information securely, as well as return data through responses from other applications. PostgreSQL can be used by both small single-machine applications and large internet applications.
MongoDB is an open-source NoSQL database management program that is used as an alternative to relational databases. This program is useful for working with distributed data sets. In addition, MongoDB is a program that can manage document-oriented information, and store, or retrieve information.
This system was developed by MySQL which aims to maintain MySQL data compatibility.
The database is an important part for individuals or companies related to data processing. The need for a database can vary, so you can choose the type that suits your goals and needs. Good data management has many benefits, one of which is for business analysis.